Do you ever catch yourself not smiling while posing for a photo? Is it because you feel your teeth have lost some of the luster you used to see in your grin?
The best way to keep your smile white is still through the dental habits you may have learned long ago – brushing twice a day, flossing once a day, and seeing our team on a regular basis. But here’s a few simple, and fast alternatives, which may help you get a whiter smile:
- Try home whitening products. White strips, an overnight serum, or even a whitening pen can help with your whitening efforts. However, you’ll also want to be sure to skip anything staining during your whitening routine. Your teeth are trying to absorb peroxide, which means your teeth will also absorb coffee, black tea, red wine, even ketchup and mustard. (We’ll tell you more about those top foods and drinks that can stain your teeth, in an upcoming blog.) Rinsing your teeth with a whitening pre-rinse before brushing can also help loosen the buildup of food and drink, making your brushing more effective.
- Chew sugarless gum. Gum chewing stimulates the flow of saliva, which may help prevent decay and stains.
- Carry extra toothbrushes. Frequent brushing can help scrub away new stains while you are whitening. And while you’re at it, floss more too, to get the plaque and bacteria out from between your teeth.
- Replace your fillings. If you have old black silver, or amalgam fillings, you may want to have us take a look at the health of these fillings. We can provide fresh, white fillings, which won’t only help lighten up your smile, but help prevent tooth decay.
- Have us do the whitening. At Hilldale Dental we use a “paint on” whitening solution which gives you a new smile in 30 minutes. The procedure takes about 30 minutes and patients average 4 shades lighter. Most patients report no changes in sensitivity.